Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Aussie's Tribute to the Character of America

What an amazing time to be in Washington DC. As I write this, down at the National Mall and the Lincoln Memorial in the nation’s capital, just 3 blocks from where I work, on Sunday 18th January 2009, a most amazing spectacle is unfolding – the celebration of the inauguration of President-elect Barak Obama featuring some of the world’s most famous artists. Over the past two weeks I have walked down to the Lincoln Memorial almost every day to watch it grow from simple impressive monument, to the extraordinary stage that is today the venue for an incredible concert for the entire world to see.

I would defy anybody who watches this magnificent ceremony, whether live as I am (abeit on television), or at some later time, not to be overwhelmed with the extraordinary sense of “nation” present in this great country at the moment. I actually found myself cheering and applauding at times during the concert – simply absorbed by the ceremony and the weight of the occasion – I have always said that Americans "do patriotism” bigger and better than most – and this is Americans, and America, at its very best.

But let no cynic condemn this spectacle to mere politics. This is truly a historic day. It is a day of common hope and it is a day that truly reflects the ideals of the American character. May it win through - and long may it prevail…across these United States…across the world.

The National Mall and the Lincoln Memorial will forever mean something just a little more to me now - no longer just a simple impressive monument.

No comments: