Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Deadly Fires


Messages of condolences are pouring into Australia from around the world. As an Australian living in Washington DC I feel quite helpless while I watch and hear the reports of the fires that have ravaged parts of my country. Almost 200 people dead so far, and my Grandmothers hometown of Healesville in Victoria, which holds so many fond memories for me, looks like it could be in trouble now too.

It tears at my heart to see the devastating effect these fires have had on so many families. It is certainly times like this that will test their strength. I wish them all the best, and send them my sincere condolences. Be strong. I want to express my appreciation for all those who are sacrificing their time and energy to fight these terrible fires as well. For many their work is thankless, but their efforts are not unappreciated. I’ve read horrifying accounts of 911 operators (000 in Australia) who had to listen on the phone while people died in house-fires, helpless to do anything. Its incomprehensible to me.

Spare a thought too for the countless thousands of beautiful australian animals and livestock that will have perished. Little Sam, the beautiful Koala pictured here, is one of the few lucky ones to survive.

Bushfires in Australia are often severe, and frequently kill, but I can’t recall anything to equal this. 2009 will certainly be a year which will live in infamy for many Australians.

No comments: